Friday, March 14, 2008

How to proceed with Brett Jones' prep program?

I have been doing it every weekend since the latest HardStyle came out. On one weekend with one 12kg kettlebell, the next with two. (The 12kg is going to be my working weight.) It works wonders so I don't want to abandon it.
The template says 'do 1-3 rounds of 5-8 reps/exercise'. Now I'm at the point where I can do 3 rounds at 8/8 reps with one kettlebell in about 40-50min., with still 8 weeks to go. (3 rounds of 6/6 yet with two, so for the double drills I'm served.)
Keeping the eyes on the cert in May, the question was, which way would be more beneficial?
1., go up in weight (I can swing and squat the 16 no problem but I can only press it 3 or maybe 4 times - switching hands every rep? push press?);
2., stick with the 12kg, stay by 3 rounds and up the reps to 10/10 or so;
3., stick with the 12kg, stay by 8/8 reps and add a fourth round?

Following authorized advice, today I did:
BJ #1, 3 rounds, @16kg

40 Swing
5/5 Clean and Press
40 Swing
5/5 Clean and Front Squat
40 Swing
5/5 Get-up
40 Swing
5/5 Snatch
40 Swing

Approx. 1 hr.
I chose to take longer rests before the presses and tried to do as many of them strict as possible (all 5L/5R in the first round, 3L/4R in the second, 2L/3R in the third), then I did push presses to match the required number.
Tomorrow's press day's gonna be "fun", in Pavel's sense of the word... :)

No comments: