Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Three hours just fly by

If you are lucky enough to have the chance to spend them with Dr. Cheng!
A wonderful time this afternoon. He greated me as if we had known each other for ages, and quickly helped me through my initial embarrassment. I haven't spoken any English in the last couple of years, but it turned out to be not as tragically rusty as I had feared it would be :) We had some coffee and then a walk along the Danube, covering a diversity of topics, from his experiences at the Certs in Minnesota and Denmark to Pavel, Rif and Kenneth Jay to the evolution of the RKC system to the interview with Gray Cook to Nikki and the inspirative energy of the like-minded to Hungarian curiosities to children to some "guilty" secrets; there were deep insights and just plain fun, too :) And, in a park nearby, he even taught me some basic concepts of Wing Chun combat. His skills of focusing on the main principles and bringing things down to simple points really amazed me. I must say, he is also one of the most polite persons I've ever met: he kept encouraging me even though I probably made the impression of a grizzly trying to learn tightrope walking :)
So much wisdom and human warmth - I'm looking forward to working with him over the weekend!

6 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

man I am so jealous! Say hi to Doc Cheng for me Gabi, sounds like you guys had a great time with even more fun coming at the cert :)DOc Cheng ROCKS

Franklin said...

Its not surprising that Dr. Cheng would want to spend some quality time with you .. you have been an inspiration to those of us in training to be an RKC and to the RKC community world-wide in sharing your training blog and its many insights.

I hope someday to meet him as well, especially to practice my Mandarin and expand it on with his knowledge of KB terminology.

Unknown said...

OK, let's clarify a few things... Gabi is even more impressive in person since you can really see & feel her strength once she starts moving.

While we didn't go over very formalized Wing Chun due to the time constraints, she caught on to the most essential points (owning the centerline, elbow positioning, simultaneous block & attack, and distancing) in record time. For someone with no prior martial arts training, she was doing better after 1 hour than most folks do after 1 month!

To answer the other comments, Rif rocks it Hard Styyyyyyyyle! If you don't know some of the background between us, Rif was a big part of the inspiration for me to go in hip-deep with the RKC community. Whenever we're at a cert together, I feel like I'm running on super-high octane jet fuel. Hopefully I'll be able to inspire that feeling out of Team Cheng here in Budapest.

Mr. Herman, I'll be glad to practice Mandarin with you, but I have yet to hear what the word is for "kettlebell" in Chinese. Some of the more technical weightlifting terms are also a bit unfamiliar to me, so I should probably bone up on those before RKC Asia. :)

Gabi said...

Mark,
I so wish you could have come, too! With Tracy!

Franklin,
thanks for the kind words! I have gotten so much trust put in me in advance I'm getting nervous convulsions whenever I think about whether I can ever prove myself worth it...

Dr. Cheng,
I miss the words to thank you properly...
Can't wait to see you again in just a couple of hours! I'd so gladly be a member of Team Cheng :)

Iron Tamer said...

Gabi, I look forward to calling my RKC sister in strength. Hopefully you will be at the CK-FMS cert in August.

Doc Cheng- Chinese for kettlebell is HARD STYLE!

Gabi said...

Thank you, David,
you honor me, Sir.

I'd love to go, I'll check the visa requirements...