Monday, July 21, 2008

On a diet of R.I.C.E.

Seems like I'm forced to a couple of days' rest, due to a minor household accident probably worth some variant of the Darwin Award.

I turned on a water tap and as I wanted to turn it off again it got somehow stuck. I got nervous, started wrestling with the darn thing with quite some force ("too much water running out, no time to fetch the tool kit, hey, what the heck do you have that kettlebell powah and grip strength for!?", ehhem, lol) when my palm suddenly slipped off, my finger got caught and I managed to wrench or pull something in the back of my hand.

(In case you think the amount of self-irony in this post is not justified, here's the rest of the story: Instead of fetching the tool kit after this happened, I certainly went on fighting the tap the same way with the other hand and actually managed to turn it off - well, I seem to have at least a little bit more luck than brains, otherwise I could play a terrific Capt'n Double Hook now.)

I tapped myself on the shoulder with my other hand for being so smart and treated myself to some Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. It doesn't hurt too bad, the initial swelling is going down, too, but curling the fingers diagonally (towards the ball of the thumb) or flexing the wrist towards the pinky finger is still a no-no.

Good I did my 50 sets of VO2Max (15:15 @12kg, 8reps/set) earlier in the morning :)

8 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

50 sets of VO2 max work...nice!!!

Keep it up!

Aaron Friday said...

Those things happen, Gabi. Like you wrote, what's all that strength for anyway? No Darwin Award for you.

Franklin said...

Gabi, if thats the dumbest thing you ever do the rest of your life you are so far ahead of me its not even funny!

E.g., I once locked myself in the trunk of my own car .. top that, I dare you!

Its a minor annoying injury that when it heals you will certainly come back stronger than ever.

Gabi said...

Thank you, Franz,

well, as for keeping it up, "I would... if I could", to quote a classic from Rocky Balboa :)))

Aaron,

you're right, thanks, it's just I usually like to believe I have some good judgment and it's really annoying to be confronted with the fact I obviously failed to practice it.

Franklin,

lol, that's not easy to top :))) How did that happen?
Sure it's not the end of the world, but it certainly pissed me off mightily to have to waste training time, now that I was really getting into the groove of regular VO2Max.

Unknown said...

Heal fast, Dear Gabi!

Gabi said...

Thank you, Doc,

I'm trying... I have to be fully functional again for the CK-FMS :)

Just two weeks, can't wait!

Mark Reifkind said...

nice max vo2 work girl and heal fast. see you in minnesota in 2 and half weeks!

Gabi said...

Thank you, Mark, it's gonna be great, I'm looking forward!