Sunday, March 9, 2008

One hour is yet to come

Still I liked Tracys idea of an uphill weight but downhill time ladder, especially now that I have a 20kg kettlebell "to fill the gap" between the 16 and the 24kg I've already had. But I wanted to include the 24 as well, so I brewed up this:

120 swings @12kg, 3min on, 1min off
90 swings @16kg, 2:15 on, 45sec off
60 swings @20kg, 1:30 on, 30sec off
30 swings @24kg, 45sec on, 15sec off

3 rounds, 10min each, +1min extra rest between rounds. Work:rest ratio mainly 3:1, except for the additional 1min (which I desperately needed :D)
In the first and third round I did her roundabouts, in the second I switched to two hand swings (bad idea as to grip endurance).
Total: 900 swings, 32min.

4 comments:

Franklin said...

Very impressive swing numbers .. both volume and density. Good luck on your Cert!

Gabi said...

Franklin,
Thank you for the kind words.
In fact, this one was quite a bit too dense. But such things can happen if you become a GymBoss-fan and calculate rest to match the beeps ... :)
Some time next week I'm gonna give this a second try but with enough rest to be able to go for about 45min.

Franklin said...

I would have never made the gains I did without a GymBoss, a definite love hate relationship.

Based on how advanced your training sessions are, I don't have to tell you that measuring accurate rest between sets is as important as the sets themselves. Its good to know that you can push yourself to achieve a high density and then know to back off some.

Please, keep up the great work on detailing your training sessions in this blog .. it is highly instructive.

Gabi said...

Yes, I think carefully calculated rests are an equally important factor as sets, reps, the weight used, total volume or the like. And just like these, they should be chosen to serve the purpose of the given workout.
If it's about practicing form or going for 1RM-strength, I don't time at all. If it's about endurance, limiting rests is a must. Of course it takes a lot of experimenting to find the right proportions (it's an art!), but also there is so much to learn by doing that, that I don't mind if I sometimes miscalculate things :)