Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pain Day

It was so good to see how many people turned up. We were, I guess, about 40 of us, twice as many as last time in November. What's more, a lot of beginners came, too, who had started kettlebelling 2 or 3 months ago (or less) and still had difficulties with cleans and snatches, banging their forearms, etc.! I have the utmost respect for them - you must consider it was a training event that lasted 5 hours with only one 30min lunch break! But they didn't give up and kept practicing, they even tried themselves with double drills and rather challenging moves like Cossack to two handed overhead press (Of course they failed. Nearly everybody did, incl. me.).

Of course I totally forgot about the race so I haven't got the slightest idea how many snatches we did, but for us RKC candidates there was a test run on the snatch test during the lunch break, so 30/30 @12kg were counted for me - 60pts.

To my surprise I wasn't as drained as I had expected, and I didn't have much discomfort today, either - the shoulders were a little bit stiff, but that was all. (It was a typical "men's design" with a lot of presses relative to ballistics :))
So this afternoon I did some GTG-style snatching. I took it easy, not too long sets and a lot of rest in between - I actually just picked up the kettlebell and did a comfortable set whenever I went past it.
There were 6 sets of 10/10, one of 15/15, one of 30/30, one of 30 (left only), one of 30 (right only) and one of 60 (10/10/...) - a total of 330 @12kg, 330pts (grand total: 2180).
It was mainly about keeping the groove fresh. Tomorrow it's again BJ-Prep-time, so I didn't want to wear myself down.

P.S. All the way back home (2,5 hours by train) I was thinking of those beginners (and even more experienced ones, too) banging their forearms black and blue with cleans... I was wondering, if we have the punch-up drill and the high pull to lead up to a snatch, do we have something like a "middle pull" to put together with an uppercut-style punch-through drill for cleans? Something like: 'swing back between the legs, then thrust the hip and as the kettlebell rises, pull back the elbow near your waist, keeping the forearm parallel to the floor and at the same time turn the hand palm facing inward so that the kettlebell handle is perpendicular to the floor'. And when the bell becomes weightless, the uppercut-like move could be connected to it, thrusting the elbow inward-forward, without changing the arm angle much, from the shoulder.
Just a thought.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gabi, there IS a remedial drill for the cleans... especially for people who bang up their forearms.

Simply have them clean the bell as they normally tend to. Then put them in front of a wall and have them continue to clean. As they're forced closer & closer to the wall, the trajectory of the bell becomes more efficient, and the banging stops almost immediately... unless, of course, they start to really lose the whole point of the exercise and try to curl the bell.

I told you you were overprepared! :)

Gabi said...

Thank you, Dr. Cheng,

now here's the proof I'm by far not overprepared (they say, if you gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough): now that you mention it, I certainly know this drill, it is described even in ETK, but, out there on the field with no wall in sight, it just wouldn't come into my mind :)