Thursday, March 27, 2008

Snatch as snatch can

Yesterday's GTG was a no-no... After class my students had all kinds of questions regarding their final exam so I came home late and was drained enough not even to attempt any kind of strength 'feat'. However, I basically like the idea of separating snatch practice from strength exercises. I could do, for example, VO2Max early in the morning, it's not more than 30mins earlier to get up, no problem.

As for today, after the positive experiences with the previous days' longer-set-snatching I just had to go for 36:36, come what may... The last time I did the test I got 32 in the 6th min. Since then, however, I did (er... if at all...) mainly 15:15 and got to a solid 9reps/set pace, so I took a deep breath and simply recalculated the same pace for 36sec... I was so in terror of this protocol I simply had to jump over my shadow :) And it went fine, although the forearms got quite challenged towards the end.

VO2Max, @12kg, 36:36
20 rounds, 22 reps/set
440 snatches in 24min (*1=440pts)

After a few minutes' rest I did
5min Shoulder Flow @12kg,
then a short Tracy-style combo (test run: I really liked this one, but before I always used the 12kg)
10*(clean - push press - snatch-drop - snatch - overhead squat - negative press - clean-drop - transfer)
@16kg, 2min on, 1min off, 6 rounds, 18 min.
(60 snatches, *2=120pts),
and another 5min Shoulder Flow @16kg.

Tomorrow I take a day off. I'm going to Budapest and stay overnight at my best friend's place, as Saturday is "Pain Day": a tough kettlebell bootcamp of 6 hours... :) Our RKCs organize such an event 4 times a year, and it is a great opportunity to learn, to really push yourself and to meet kettlebell fanatics from all over the country.
I'll probably badly need another off day on Sunday, lol! So the BJ-sessions will be shifted to Mon-Tue-Wed, I guess, but that's okay, the main thing is that they be done :)
Then I'll do some more 36:36 @12kg and maybe dare to try 15:15 @16kg... my next fear ;) Until then, I'll re-read Geoff Thompson's guest post at Alwyn Cosgrove's blog pretty often... check it out, if you haven't yet, a must read!

9 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

way to go,"it's just getting up 30 minutes earlier, no problem"

If everybody had this attitude toward getting their workouts in everybody would be super fit!You are a great inspiration gabi,excellent.
enjoy your workshop, sounds like you guys have your KB act together!

Gunther said...

Mark, I completely agree with you. She really is a great inspiration and I really enjoy reading her blogs. Wondering everyday how she "tortured" herself this time on her quest to be super fit.

Iron Tamer said...

Very nice work!

Aaron Friday said...

You're kicking butt!

I like Geoff Thompson, too. Have a few of his books.

Unknown said...

I have a strong feeling that this woman is going to set the pace at the Hungary RKC!

Franz Snideman said...

Great training and great blog! Thanks for the link.

I will link you on my blog as well!

Gabi said...

Thank you, Mark,
The best reply to this I can think of is your own words :) What count's is, that "there is a goal. And the steps that have to be taken ARE taken and not skipped". We have time for whatever we _take_ the time for. I think it always comes down to the question, if the goal is important enough.

Gunther,
The interest that meets my workouts is at least as inspirative to me, thank you. The best workouts are always the ones that not only scare the people around, but yourself, too ;)

David, Franz,
so kind of you to stop by. Thank you for the support.

Thanks, Aaron,
I didn't know he had books, too, I'll check them out.

Dr. Cheng,
Your words have weight, and I will do my best to come up to your expectations. Also, I must be as prepared as possible in order to be able to concentrate on learning as much as possible (as opposed to sheer survival).

Unknown said...

I'll bet my _____ (fill in the blank with whatever) that you certainly will not merely be in survival mode during the RKC.

As I'm sure Rif will attest to, we've seen plenty of folks who have no bloody clue of what the RKC requirements are - even though they're well posted on the site and printed clearly on the literature that's sent out when you register.

Not to encourage complacency, but you of all people, Gabi, should certainly have no problem making it through the RKC.

Gabi said...

Thank you, Dr. Cheng,

Believe me, I'm very far from being complacent... It doesn't mean I'm not positive or totally lack confidence, I just think this is not a case where less is more :)

As for ignorant participants, it is hard to believe people register for something without knowing what it is, but I myself met a few candidates on Pain Day who thought all they would have to do is pass the snatch test...