Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"The Shoulder Flow"

Yesterday's workout was a tough one and I'm planning a similar one for tomorrow. Furthermore, Fri-Sat-Sun is BJ's prep program @2*12kg, so today I followed Taikei's advice and did a session all around the shoulder.

I started with 3sets of 10 overhead squats alternated with 10 shoulder dislocates with a broomstick. Then I put together the following combo:

clean - press - overhead squat - windmill - TGU downwards half - arm bar - TGU upwards half - windmill - overhead squat - negative press - clean-drop - transfer

I concentrated on doing all exercises in one fluid motion, but slowly, so completing this sequence once on both sides took me about 2,5min.

I alternated sets of 10min (4/4) @12kg with sets of 5min (2/2) @16kg 3 times.

The arm bar was a new exercise with an unusual position for me, so I chose to stay very conservative now and build up ROM gradually over time.
I liked this sequence very much, it felt very good on the shoulders and the spine, too. I've named it "The Shoulder Flow" (if anybody has invented this already, I deeply apologize) and I'm going to use it regularly, also before or after other workouts.

8 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

gabi, great blog and very unique grind combination I like it!that would take a lot of static strength for a long time.

Gabi said...

Thanks for the kind words, Mark,

This is really something I'm gonna do regularly. Taikei has made me realize it is essential to take the time and loosen the shoulders, especially when stressing them with high rep endurance work.

Howie B said...

Hiya Gabi. Just found my way to your blog via Taikei's site. You are no joke!! Gonna take me some time to catch up on your training. And I see you already have me listed on your links(?!?!). Cool!

I am just amazed by the company I keep!! =)

Keep up the awesome work!

Gabi said...

Welcome, Howie,
thanks for the visit :)
I've found you listed on Taikei's and Franklin's site.
(That countdown widget of yours is scary!! :))

Howie B said...

I know, the countdown keeps me focused! Just digested your Shoulder Flow session, impressive. I think I need to start mixing up my workouts a bit and will give this a try, probably over this weekend. I should also take your approach and start the BJ Prep Workouts. I have that article hanging up in my workout room, but haven't yet gotten serious about incorporating it. I guess there's no time like the present!

Gabi said...

Howie,
the BJ Prep Workouts have boosted my work kapacity like I never thought would be possible. Definitely worth trying, I would say. A perfect match to the Steve Freides article over at DD about how to prepare for the RKC snatch test.

Howie B said...

Yes, I started using the Freides snatch protocol before developing this nagging pain in my forearms. Will return to it once I get healed up. Am actually meeting with Steve over the weekend, maybe he can get me back on the straight and narrow.

Gabi said...

He definitely will, and you'll be back on the wagon in no time, I'm sure :)
For me it helped big time to learn how to really sit back and use my hammies as 'shock absorbers', to find the proper timing so that they take over the stress from the hands.