Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sock sleeves are like squats

When people say that squats hurt their knees, the only proper answer is the classic one from Dan John: "Squats don't hurt your knees. The way YOU squat hurts your knees."
The sleeves, of course, work. The way I made them and used them didn't. They were too thin, too wide and too loose.
//This is why it is imperative, if you happen to be in the lucky situation to have knowledgeable and experienced people around who are ready to help you, to shut your mouth at speed Mach 5, open your ears and mind even faster, and listen very carefully to what they have to say :)//

So yesterday I checked out Mark's original post at Tracys blog anew and made new ones, all 2'' wide but of different thickness. I tried them all but then stayed with thick ones today for two reasons: on one hand, the blister on my right palm is not completely healed up yet; on the other hand, they force me to really catch the bell in the crook of my fingers. The latter also meant however, that the strain shifted to my fingers and caused more irritation there than before, so I was cautious.

I went for some longer sets today, @12kg:
5 sets of 60 (30/30) - this is the required number at the RKC snatch test for my weight class.
one set of 100 (10/10/...)
one set of 120 (15/15/...)
I planned to do one more set of 80 (20/20/...) to have a total of 600, but at 40 it was getting risky so I stopped - better stay at the safe side.
Still, it adds up to 560 snatches in only 8 sets, and that with much less damage on the hands than usual.

Then I tackled the double 16s a bit and did 3 rounds of
10 double swings
10 double cleans
5 double C+FSQ
2 double C+PP
(They are heavy, sort of... lol)
I finished off with 3 double windmills per side.

5 comments:

Franklin said...

As ridiculous as it is, I am actually getting used to seeing you post those insane 560 snatch circuits.

Now, the double 16s, now you really have my attention again. Great work! That's just plain outstanding.

Mark Reifkind said...

great job gabi. you should get in on SSGTGLASS's 50,000 snatch challenge, you will do well.and yes the double 16 work is solid.

Howie B said...

I am humbled. Thems is a lot of snatches!

fawn said...

Your practice is solid! Plus, you will be happy your hands are conditioned for the cert! You will love it!

Gabi said...

Mark,
By no means would I want to stay out of a craze like Adam's race :) I just wonder if I should hire somebody to come and count the reps for me at the Cert :D

Howie,
get that shoulder fixed and your numbers will shoot to the stars :)

Franklin,
As for the double 16s, well, they definitely kick my ass, but I'm getting to like the taste of going heavier, so I'll have to put the 20 to some use soon, too. I even consider learning the jerk properly.

Fawn,
thank you for the visit and the support! I really hope they'd toughen up soon, it would be such a waste if they'd keep distracting me while there's so much to learn there.