Saturday, April 19, 2008

"A bunch of small workouts"

GTG is just great when your endurance is compromised. And when I checked Mike's details on the snatch race site I realized I don't actually have to always be done with my training within an hour... So, as I felt somewhat better but not ready for a sweaty conditioning workout, I made good use of this free Saturday:

30/30 @12kg
12 rounds, scattered throughout the whole day
720 snatches total

It is a comfortable set length where I get a pump in the forearms, but don't break a sweat yet and don't have to breathe harder either (after a single set, that is, of course).
It is also the RKC snatch test number for 56-60kg or 123-132lb (I currently weigh 55.5kg or 122lb, so I still consider it my number) - good to know I still do okay with it even if I'm not in top form.

7 comments:

Mike Krahling said...

I hope no one else figures it out(lol). i know i can't do big volume workouts like yourself, Nikki or Tracy. And i can't do strength workouts like Dave or Takei. So i got this idea from the RKC that i train with (Brian Petty). He works out with all of his clients all day, every day. Then it clicked with the GTG from Pavels books and it just works really well for me for this race.

Great day, now you have to do more tomorrow and the next day and the next day. Just don't burn out before your RKC.

Franklin said...

Great job! Being able to pass your snatch test twelve times in one day sets a new standard for pre-Cert preparation.

Also your progress in the race is extraordinary. As with Mike (and you sir, the current mens 50K Snatch race leader, are putting on a amazing performance!) please don't over do it as your cert is your number one priority.

Gabi said...

Mike,
you are doing great, and in a clever way, that is as important in a race as strength and/or endurance :)

Franklin,
I have to stick to my own priorities and training goals, for sure. I do only as many snatches as I would/should anyway. But I can use the race to manipulate myself easier into doing them, as snatches (like presses) are, so to say, not my favourite exercise :)

Franklin said...

Gabi,

My apologies, I came off way too strong. If I would have followed your training methodology I wouldn't have a quarter the down time I have now due to over-training.

And go kick some serious 50K Snatch Race behind!

Gabi said...

Oh, no, Franklin,

no need to apologize, please - I totally agree with you and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Also, safety is definitely something to be better emphasized too much than too little.

Howie B said...

60 snatches and not even breaking a sweat!! Wow... =)

Gabi said...

Howie,

it is the 12kg I have gotten very efficient with :) Probably due to all those 40-50min workouts of 2-3min Tracy-style combo sets. Lots of swings with heavier bells helped too.