Sunday, April 20, 2008

First try at LCCJ

The thread over at DD convinced me very fast :) According to Kuzmin's explanation of the difference between the GS jerk and the old power jerk, what I was trying to do was the latter. Jason C. Brown's tutorial helped a lot. The idea of going for time and not reps came from David Whitley's article (although no ladder yet today). I'm still practicing the move so I stayed conservative with the weights.

#1
LCCJ
@12kg, 1min L, 1min R (9-10 reps/side), 1min off
@2*12kg, 1min on (8-9 reps), 1min off
6 rounds, 30min
#2
3 rounds @2*12kg:
30sec C&J (5 reps), 30sec OH walk, 30sec rack walk, 30sec farmer's walk, 30sec off
#3
two handed swings, alternating 20kg and 24kg
30sec on (20reps), 30sec off
20 rounds, 20min

I had to realize the C&J is a very taxing exercise... not only those many knee dips, but for the back, and the arms, too, although you don't actually press at all - works every bit of the body. It's going to be a hell of a conditioning, once I can use a decent weight.

4 comments:

Iron Tamer said...

nice work Gabi

Gabi said...

Thank you, David,

great article, most instructive.

Jeez, even a half long rep is "fun" (=painful and horrible)! But, after BMF, I have been warned... :)

Franklin said...

First, thanks for posting all the jerk links .. comprehensive and convenient!

In my previous cycle based on Mike Mahler Size and Strength, I was doing 5 x 5 with 2 24s LCCJ alternated with double 32k swings. An absolute killer. And the Jason Brown suggestion to practice the 2nd dip is just what I needed to improve my form .. thanks!

I'm pretty convinced my recent progress with snatches was due in part to the strengthening of my base with all the LCCJ double work.

Finally, considering that this was your 1st time you really concentrated on this lift, you did extremely well! As you mentioned, it does not take much weight to get totally smoked by this lift.

Gabi said...

Thank you, Franklin,

glad you found the links useful.
Even after this first glimpse I believe jerks provide a great general S&C base with a lot of carryover to other exercises. I plan to do them regularly, I might even give Pavels "Fast Tens" a go some time.
Alternating them with swings sounds "fun", I will give it a try, maybe right today :)