Saturday, June 14, 2008

Alive and kicking

I'm a bit behind with posting, so here's what I did the last couple of days.

Wednesday
Vinyasa, 40min
I was amazed how much better it felt than last time. A great big part of it was due to attitude: If I take it easy, it actually gets easy! I mean, not to try and force things, to stop thinking in terms of "good enough or not good enough", to practice patience instead and to simply be content with whatever I am currently able to do actually can prevent cramping, helps to focus on the given poses, stretches and breathing, so I can come a lot further. Sometimes one just has to stop standing in one's own way... :)

Thursday
New gym
After several months of no barbell work I pulled myself together and joined a good friend (a kettlebell enthusiast and even more a pistol fanatic, although still mostly in theory :D) to his training. A small gym, far too many machines, too little space for free weights... I had some difficulties as all I'd have needed was a barbell, plates and, well, room...
But! Far less sissies than usual, quite some fighters and powerlifters there, you can use chalk, you can bump the weights, and overall a bunch of crazies, open minds (not at all horrified by the sight of strange moves like a full contact twist or a kettlebell snatch, heh!), fun atmosphere, good energy. Big dilemma, believe me.
Anyway, even if it took two hours to finish, I did, just to ease into things, a couple of sets of
kettlebell swings, snatches, jerks, windmills @16kg
BW chins
bent-over rows, 40kg
'T-bar' rows with the barbell in the corner, 50kg
deadlifts, conventional and sumo, 60kg
hanging leg raise (foot to bar)
full contact twist, 30kg
renegade row 2*14kg dumbbells
kettlebell ballistics @16kg, 30sec on, 30 sec off, alternating sets of 20 swings (one hand, two hand, DARC) and 7/7 snatches, 15min

Yesterday I was off to Budapest: there was a business workshop organized by Peter, then an RKC-dinner, where I think I succeeded in demonstrating what the fun part of the Warrior Diet is after fasting all day ;)
Today morning I met up with a really dedicated young couple who were probably one of the first kettlebell pioneers in Hungary - they had stories :) (I'm not sure I wouldn't have given up if I had had to start out on a kettlestack, lol) Some technique clean up, some shoulder rehab (for him) and some pre-pregnancy (for her) ideas - good progress and a great time!

I'm still quite a bit sore from the weight room but I hope by tomorrow I'll be fine for a light KB session at least.

4 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Sounds like things are cranking for you....very busy obviously! Are you planning on opening up your own place?

What are you goals as far as business goes?

Gabi said...

Oh, that's a great big long term goal, yes :)
But I'll have to start small and build up step by step.
The weights finally arrived last Thursday. Right now I'm still looking for a suitable place to rent for a couple of hours a week so that I can start with group sessions. I'm doing some market research, too: I'm thinking of profiled classes, combining different tools for specific goals, if there's interest enough.

fawn said...

Sounds like your yoga practice is coming along... you got the big part figured out. There is no such thing as "not good enough", and yes... relax. This can be applied to everything. But, you probably already know that.

Gabi said...

Oh yes, it definitely requires a different attitude, and Rifs detailed explanations of his approach of getting into it on his blog, for example, are an invaluable help. It just takes time to really internalize it, especially if you've been quite a while all crazy about 'chasing THE perfect form' Cert-wise :)