Thursday, August 21, 2008

As for me, personally,

regarding my own training, if I had to pick the three most enlightening insights I encountered during the CK-FMS course, they would be

"Be consistent and methodical at the front end."
"The goal of training is improvement, not entertainment. Practice what you need, not what you like."
and the #1 AHA: "Core stability is stance (foot position) dependent."

You are only as stong as your weakest link. Everybody knows that, yeah, very well. Me too, but, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone with this issue, I still somehow tend to prefer exercises I like and I'm good at anyway. This was especially easy to fall victim to as I have never been in regular training with an RKC either group-wise or one-on-one (incl. preparation for RKC L1). When Peter finally came up with Kettlebell Hungary I attended a few workshops to have my form checked but as for program design I relied upon myself, DD books, articles and your 'virtual help' via forum, blogs and comments. I can't even say it didn't work. I got certified and I think I did quite well, or at least not below average. But back when I started I had the advantage of being relatively strong as compared to my size (I had done some weight training using PTTP and NW principles before) so I could sort of "muscle through" a couple of things I neglected (consciously or unconsciously). Like I can swing a 32 or a 40kg but can't keep my feet parallel at the deep squat, I can TGU a 24kg but tip over in the scissor stance, let alone the in-line lunge, I can even do a (quick) pistol without actually being able to balance on one leg or do a SLDL, I just have to make sure to come up _before_ I loose equilibrium. Go figure.

So, even if I was too busy catching up with work and other obligations to come to posting since I'm back from the U.S., I took some time reading through the manual and my notes and pieces are starting to come together now. I mainly did stretching and corrective exercises the past week, except for classes and demonstrations I didn't do much kettlebell-wise. I didn't score low and I don't have any asymmetries but I'm simply not on a level where I should handle heavy weights or big volume. This is quite a big frog to swallow. But there is much more wisdom in following Gray's advice: "If an exercise is weak, don't practice it. Go down one level and reset.", than making the same mistakes over and over again.

I'm still working on a new strategy, but one thing is sure, no fancy big numbers for a while, it'll probably be months before I post anything 'impressive' - although getting a first ever _solid_ SLDL in, even without any weight, just the stick, is going to be way more impressive to me than snatching a 24kg _somehow_ :)

7 comments:

Phil Scarito said...

Gabi,

Great post today. I agree 100% with everything. It really does come together once you ready the manual a couple times. Also, the Secrets of DVD's help once you have gone through the course. I have been doing so many deadlifts and TGU's. Still waiting for my Kit though. Did you take your test?

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Well since I am limited to partial get ups and kneeling presses ... I do not expect to be doing anything "big" numberwise for a while. :) Except lose weight maybe.

Gabi said...

Thanks, Phil,

I'm waiting for my kit, too... I'm itching to get started :) I did a few screens on family members and friends without, but it's not the same. The test will have to wait. As far as I remember, there was no deadline mentioned. Did you take it?

Kirsten,

with all these corrections now we should be soon more than ready for some serious strength training we need for what we are one for :)
(I think I've just used up all my "for"-s for today, lol.)

Franz Snideman said...

Gabi,

I think we all had our eyes opened at the FMS. I know I did!

Glad to hear you are humbly accepting your limitations and working to improve them. I think you will be lifting heavier weights a lot sooner than you think. Remember that Gray Cook doesn't want us to stay in the corrective stage forever. As soon as you implement in some correcitve strategies you must immediately see if it improves.

You'll improve much faster than you think and thus your training will be more "load" oriented. At least that's what I have experienced!

Gabi said...

Franz,

you're absolutely right, and now I know why Gray said that... This stuff works! And fast!
I still have an active impingement though that keeps my repertoire limited.

Nikki Shlosser said...

Gabi,
This is a request for you to start posting more regularly again.
We miss you.

Sincerely,
Nikki

Gabi said...

OMG, Nikki,

I just realize I haven't posted for more than a week... I have a lot of excuses, but well, they all don't actually count :) Time to get back to regular, thanks for reminding!