Sunday, September 7, 2008

Corkscrew

The best in teaching is, you learn so much.
We are a hunchback nation. At least 80% of all people I screened scrored low on Shoulder Mobility. Which is, as we now know, not at all necessarily a "shoulder issue". I found the corkscrew principle from the Naked Warrior is a good cue for packing the shoulder and helps a lot with poor posture in many cases.
Then, over the weekend, I did Brett's RKC prep workouts. All three days I did 2 rounds with sets of 20 swings, 10/10 snatches and 5/5 of all other exercises. Between rounds I did the RKC snatch test (30/30 @12kg). I knew I would do okay with the swings and squats, I dreaded the press day however, I was concerned about my shoulder.
The first set went accordingly. Then I suddenly remembered my own preaching and took the time to really make sure to reset that shoulder at every clean. Then I was thinking about the clean, the loaded clean ("Your press is only as good as your clean.") and remebered the advice I got on the forum to narrow my stance a bit. (The stance... The connection to the ground, where the power comes from...) I tried it but it felt very "unhealthy". That corkscrew principle was still on my mind so I decided to try and apply it with the legs, too. Suck them into the hip joints. Push down with the heels and pretend to turn the feet outwards, without really moving them. And suddenly everything was stable, everything was tight like never before, no leakage.
Sometimes it takes just ages to really know what you already know actually, lol.
After the cert, ROP-time :)

8 comments:

Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

I really enjoyed what you what. I am participating in the October RKC and found your information very useful!

Sandor

Franklin said...

The turning out of the feet to help plug power leakages is new to me (or I probably just forgot about it) .. I will go home tonight and check ETK.

Also, I will definitely give it a go regardless as I recently have been focusing on almost daily low rep quality pressing (following a suggestion of Dan John) .. it seems to be working.

Also congratulations on being selected to assist in the Oct Cert .. it should be a blast!

Franz Snideman said...

I think we are a hunchback world. So many shoulder issues can corrected quite simply as you stated in your blogpost. Corkscrew principle works at it place the shoulder is much "healthier" position, no doubt!

Gabi said...

Hey, Sandor,

thanks for stopping by! Glad I could be of any help. Good luck for your Cert (and those "thousands of swings") :)

Franklin,

it's not in ETK, it's originally in NW regarding the pushup. It just seems like I needed this image (to listen to my own cue, so to say) to really tighten up my clean. I can feel muscles firing that didn't before, when I was just "pinching a coin". I don't know if it works for anybody else :) Let me know if it does for you!

Franz,

CK-FMS was definitely an eye opener for me. I can't separate correction and training any longer, I suddenly see the corrective effects of all KB and other exercises much more clearly. ("There's no kettlebell. There's only movement.") Fascinating!

Fireman Tom said...

Pavel describes this technique for the legs in his (old) Martial Power (2002) tape series. He called it spiraling. You feel your feet twist against the ground, and feel your muscles spiral up to your thighs into your hips.

This works great coming out of the hole in a deep squat - your right leg contracts clockwise and your left does it counter-clockwise. Your knees will stabilize better and you'll feel more power coming up.

Great stuff!

Tom

Gabi said...

Thank you, Tom,

yes, that's exactly what I meant. I didn't think of the squat, but it sounds promising. (I still have some ankle and knee stability issues, although there's improvement since I learned the FMS-corrections.) I'll have to check out that series.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Gabi- The spiraling, the corkscrew and taking care of the leakages, that's the ticket, just like the suction cup with the foot trick, "zip up your strong suit!"-Katie

Gabi said...

Absolutely, that's the ticket... and it's business class, not economy :)