Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I just love this FMS stuff!

Every time I do the screen I'm amazed how easily hidden things suddenly become visible, how the scores fit together and point into one or the other specific direction. And how some minor corrections can bring about major - and often instant - changes in one's movement or posture.
I've got the following comment yesterday from a pretty high level competitive karateka after a few minutes of T-spine corrective drills resulting in 2-->3 on the Shoulder Mobility test: "When I came to you I already knew I wanted to learn KB... But this is a bonus I'm especially glad about. I was born with a shoulder like that and had to struggle with it all my life, nobody in those thirty-something years had a freakin' idea what to do about it, this is the first time I really feel what it is like when everything is where they're supposed to be." You should have seen his swings after this... 
The best however is, there's no magic in that. All I did was follow the protocol Brett and Gray outlined. It's all in the system, I'm an interchangeable factor.

As for yesterday's training, I was sore from the kneeling and half kneeling presses with that 8 kg(!!) in my whole upper body (speaking of what had been firing before instead of what), so I postponed the getup and stayed with swings: 15 sets of 20 @16kg (two hand, one hand, DARC), plus demo swings in classes (I'll have to get used to counting them as training, they do add up, lol).

5 comments:

Franklin said...

Thanks for reminding me, I have to complete all screens for my co-workers.

Did you have your do the Brettzel as one of the T-spline corrective drills? Did you take your on-line test yet?

Gabi said...

No, not yet. I'm still waiting for the hip and knee DVD to arrive. Did you?

We did the Secrets mobility prep (the push pull worked very well) and then the transitional activation drill. I'll teach him the Brettzel as maintenance exercise on Friday so that he has homework for the weekend :)

Yoana Teran Snideman said...

"The best however is, there's no magic in that. All I did was follow the protocol Brett and Gray outlined. It's all in the system, I'm an interchangeable factor."

Awesome point Gabi. We must save ourselves from ourselves...we litreally need to get out of our own ways and let the screen do the work!

Brilliant!

Franz Snideman said...

Woops.

Gabi that was me. Forgot I was signed in under Yoana!

Gabi said...

Franz,

I always remind myself of what Gray said: "The corrections work. If not, there's reason." I don't want to be that reason.