Sunday, September 28, 2008

My new favorite

Is combining farmer's walk and OH carry. The idea is originally from Andrea Du Cane's Special Populations DVD, but it wouldn't be me if I hadn't put it into some combo :)

Snatch a 16kg. Do a windmill, pick up a 24kg from the floor. (Adjust the weights relative to your own BW, of course, the two together are approx. 70% of mine.) Set your shoulder back and down, keep your elbow locked out. Walk around a bit. Put the 24kg back down windmill-wise. Straighten up, then drop the 16kg, too. Switch hands and do the other side. Repeat until a better man :)

The variation I also have many of my beginners do (with lighter weights of course) is to clean or cheat-curl the lighter bell, suitcase deadlift the heavier one and set it up for the farmer's walk, press up the lighter one and start walking. Then lower the top one under control (pull down to rack), put the other one down (suitcase style), switch hands.

I can't say they enjoy it, but they badly need stability work. At least as badly as me :)

6 comments:

Frankie Mecono RKCII said...

The windmill farmer walk overhead carry is great. I just tried this combo last week with clients.

Gabi said...

Frankie,

thanks for stopping by! Glad to hear you liked it. And thanks for linking, I'll add you to my blog roll, too! You have some pretty strong stuff over there!

Gunther said...

sounds like "fun", just finished my workout but if I do not forget I will throw that one in as a finisher tomorrow.

Gabi said...

Gunther,

another version could be a two hands anyhow and double overhead walk with uneven load... I'm yet to bring up the guts to try this one :)

Gunther said...

currently I am out with my back again but before that I started to finish my royal swinging court workouts with a clean and presss and keep the kb above the head, last workout I did not write down but it was for 30 secs, 3 times each side. Read another article at dd with the program minimum for mma fighters, here I read it also and it is great. when I return to training they will be added again, so thanks for the tip.

Gabi said...

Gunther,

my, take care and heal fast!