Thursday, April 30, 2009

Better days, finally

I was so glad last week that I seemed to have gotten rid of those freakin' clingy viruses and could return to training that I probably overdid something (pistols, maybe, dunno) and managed to pull some groin muscle so that for days even driving my car was a challenge. More time off from training, eh. What can I say, I'm obviously not tough enough for being that stupid.

The good news is, however, after this forced off time, voila, I finally managed my first unassisted pullups, woo-hoo, 'twas about time!

Anyhoo, I've decided to proceed real cautiously this time and do all strength work in good old GTG fashion until the DK cert (in two weeks) is over: pullups, pistols, presses, windmills, everything. A set or two between two clients/classes. That adds up quickly.

As for ballistics, I'm getting back into VO2Max training:

Monday:
15:15 @16kg, 20 sets of 8
10min, 160 snatches
That was less than half of what I did last time but it felt unexpectedly tough.
Then, another 10min of swings:
40sec on, 20 sec off
27-28 swings @24kg
10 sets
This was the first time, I think, I worked with the 24 in a work-rest ratio of more than 1:1. Hard on the forearms, although I kept mixing one- and two-hand swings.

Tuesday:
15:15 @16kg, 30 sets of 7
15min, 210 snatches
Cut back a rep and went for more sets. That one rep makes quite a difference.

Yesterday:
15:15 @16kg, 40 sets of 8
20min, 320 snatches
This felt like I'm almost back to where I was. Cool.

And I saved the best for last: by courtesy of John Du Cane and Dragon Door (a big thank you!), I'm now a cartoon heroine! You can check out my new article, a case study of my CK-FMS "voodoo" work in the articles section of the Dragon Door website.

2 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Congratulations on the pull up!

woo hoo!

that has to feel awesome!!!

Gabi said...

Thank you, Franz,

oh, it does, it does... especially because it was getting, you know, urgent... :)